The Biofouling Innovation Challenge: Investor insights & last call to apply/nominate candidates
Thursday, 21 July 2022
Webinar closed, recording available here
The World Ocean Council (WOC) and The Ocean Opportunity Lab (TOOL) are collaborating in a global competition focused on innovative solutions and technologies that may improve the prevention, management and monitoring of marine biofouling.
In this session, investors from across SWEN/1000 Ocean Startups, The Dock and Investable Oceans will share the importance of investing in biofouling solutions and the investment community's role in scaling up solutions. We will also hear from biofouling innovators sharing their journeys from concept to implementation - the value of industrial collaboration across stakeholders and the value chain, and why they encourage innovators & the industry to take part in the challenge. The webinar will explain key aspects of the Innovation Challenge's, introduce the jury and collaboration partners from across investment community & industry, provide details about the pitchfest for finalists at the Sustainable Ocean Summit, and open up for Q&A related to the last call for submitting or nominating entries.
The Innovation Challenge is open to solutions and technologies applicable to any maritime industry or infrastructure that may be affected by biofouling, including all types of ships, port infrastructure, aquaculture, offshore oil and gas, ocean renewable energies, scientific and communications instruments and ocean dredging. The competition will also consider solutions that may be less mature but have strong potential for creating real innovation breakthroughs.
Tina Liu (WOC); Birgit Liodden (TOOL); Ted Janulis (Investable Oceans); Julie Peyrache (SWEN Capital Partners); Nir Gartzman (theDOCK); Tor Ostervold (ECOsubsea).
● Tina Liu leads WOC’s strategic development, supervises project execution, alongside organization’s daily operation . Prior to WOC, Tina’s experience is in shipping intelligence with projects in global ports and maritime clusters. She was the Vice President of Elane Inc., a Chinese technology and information provider for Shipping, Supply Chain, Commodity Trading industries. Prior to Elane Inc, she worked in Drewry Shipping Consultant in London, Singapore and Shanghai offices. She established and managed Drewry China operation. Tina is the managing committee member of Young Professionals in Shipping PRC, a not for profit organisation to bring young talent in the shipping community together and become the next generation leaders. She has received the founding awards for Professional achievement of British Alumni from British Council. Tina holds a Ph.D. degree from University College London in Transportation Studies.
● Birgit is the Founder & CEO for The Ocean Opportunity Lab (TOOL), a global ecosystem for innovators within ocean & renewable energy, recently launching the world's first interactive map and resource matching platform connecting innovators across startup and established industries focused on ocean & the SDGs. Liodden is Chair of the Norwegian Association for Environmental Boats, and board member of TECO2030, Greenstat, Bellona Foundation, Kuniko (ASX) and TheFactory - covering hydrogen infrastructure, circular mining, sustainable finance and environment. She is also on the sustainability board of battery company Beyonder. With a mixed background of serial entrepreneur & corporate leadership, Birgit has 17 years of experience from global leadership roles across the maritime sector, including as former Director of Nor-Shipping, founder of YoungShip International, and Global project manager of systems & processes at Wilh. Wilhelmsen.
● Investable Oceans is an investment hub that seeks to bring market-based capital to the oceans. While philanthropy and concessionary impact Investing are vitally important private sector sources, they believe market based investing can unlock substantial additional capital to help us collectively create a sustainable Blue Economy in the future. Ted has served in various executive positions, including CEO, at financial institutions involved in Capital Markets, Banking and Asset Management over a 30+ year business career. He is President Emeritus of The Explorers Club in New York City and has served on numerous for-profit and not-for-profit Boards, currently holding positions with Gannett Co. Inc., Roc Capital, RiskSpan Inc., and Duke University’s Nicholas School of the Environment. The oceans have been one of Ted’s passions since he was young.
● SWEN Capital Partners is a benchmark player in sustainable investments in private equity with more than 6.7 billion euros in assets under management and/or advisory in Europe. SWEN Blue Ocean is SWEN Capital Partner’s direct impact strategy investing in innovations that help regenerate ocean health, hence contributing to achieve SDG 14. SBO back start up that deliver both systemic and competitive market returns. Engineer agronomist by training, Julie joined SWEN Blue Ocean as Investment Director in November 2021. Before joining SWEN Blue, Julie participated to the creation and development of Capagro VC funds. After 8 years of supporting start-ups in the sector of Agtech and Footech, she decided to devote herself to impact investment for Ocean regeneration health.
● theDOCK is a vertical Venture Capital firm investing in and providing industry expertise to startups developing technologies for Maritime, Supply Chain, and Offshore sectors. Located in Israel, the start-up nation, theDOCK harness Israel's technology innovation assets as well as global entrepreneurs to deliver practical innovation to the sector. Earlier this year theDOCK announced the first Closing of a Targeted $30 Mn Fund to back Maritime and Supply Chain startups. Nir Gartzman is a maritime, hi-tech and clean-tech professional combining strong technical capabilities with broad industry background and business development experience. Nir earned his proficiency during 10 years of management positions in both navy and civilian sectors. Nir holds a B.A degree in business management from the IDC - Herzliya Interdisciplinary Center.
● Mr. Østervold is the CEO and founder of ECOsubsea. ECOsubsea have developed technology that keeps vessels hull free of fouling with a robot that sends all biofouling further to be used in biogas production. The vessels save substantial amounts of fuel and both water and air environment is kept cleaner. Currently operating from South of UK, Belgium and the Netherlands and servicing leading companies like WWL and Carnival Cruises Corp. ECOsubsea and its team have since 2008 been awarded the “Young Entrepreneur Award”, “Orcelle Award”, the “Green Shipping Technology Award”, the “Seatrade Award" in addition to "The Global Freight Award" for development of sustainable technology to the shipping industry. Tor comes from the Island of Austevoll in Norway, grew up with fisheries and holds a MSc in International Shipping from the University of Plymouth.